The University of Central Florida began plans to renovate the food court of its Student Union prior to the Fall 2017 semester.
The previous food court closed along with Nathan’s Hotdogs, the relocation of Domino’s Pizza, and its seating. A list of restaurants voted on by students in 2016 will replace these restaurants in Fall 2018 once construction has completed.
In the survey completed by students, the top results of new restaurant choices for the Student Union:
- Asian: Panda Express
- Bakery/Café: Einstein Bros. or Au Bon Pain
- Burgers: Steak and Shake
- Chicken: Pollo Tropical suggested for RWC restaurant
- Pizza: Papa John’s
- Mexican: Qdoba
- Salad: No preference
- Sandwiches: Which Wich or Firehouse Subs
- Snacks: No preference
- Coffee: No preference
- Varied Menu/Sit-Down Restaurant: Chili’s
- Convenience/Drinks: Tropical Smoothie or Smoothie King
The current Union was constructed in 1997 when UCF student enrollment included only 28,000 students. Now, with 66,000 students, the Board of Trustees approved a construction project and multi-million dollar agreement with Aramark to provide a 21st-century heart of campus to students.
An increase in seating – 400 to 1,150, and 315 seats to about 750 in the food court alone, power outlets, and a second floor to the food court can be expected with the project. Additional restaurants have been selected for the expansion.
The Student Union and SGA completed a Summer project that will benefit current students by creating a gaming space for students on the third floor. Knight News sat down with the SGA President prior to its opening.
New Student Union Facts:
- Once Phase 1 is complete in the Summer of 2018, there will be 10 food vendors in the Student Union, including five in the brand new, state-of-the-art food court.
- With the creation of a two-story student lounge, there will be approximately 350 additional seating options; This includes a second-floor café and lounge.
- The completion of renovation in Fall 2019 will see 15,000 additional square feet added to the Heart of Campus.
Follow UCFKnightNews for more news on the Student Union expansion as well as sports, such as UCF football, and breaking news.
Photos: UCF Student Union