A partnership between the University of Central Florida and Uber, a ridesharing service, has officially launched, according to SGA President Chris Clemente and Vice President Rachel Altfield.
“Open your books, not your wallet,” the Uber-UCF partnership webpage headlines.
“We’ve partnered with the University of Central Florida Student Government Association to help students ride with ease during late nights around campus. Eligible students can request discounted rides from 8 p.m. – 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights for trips within the UCF campus area.”
Students will receive an email in their Knights email with more information on the partnership and the student’s unique code. Codes may be used starting this weekend.
From the UCF Student Government Association:
That’s great! How does it work?
- UCF students can request an Uber ride via the UCF Safe Rides option in their Uber app on Friday and Saturday nights, between 8:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m. During these hours, rides that begin and end within the boundaries displayed below will be 50% off for rides up to $10. Riders who take a trip that’s more than $10 will receive a $5 discount.
- ELIGIBILITY: Only students who paid the Activity & Service Fee – included automatically for most students through tuition – for the current semester are eligible for this program. Eligible students will be provided with a unique promo code through their Knights email. Add the code to the Uber app to unlock the Safe Rides option and discounted rides.
- OBTAINING PROMO CODE: Your unique promo code was sent to you via an email during the week of March 27.
- NEW UBER USERS: Sign up here and download the Uber app on your phone.
- EXISTING USERS: If you already have an Uber account, you can use your existing account to access discounted rides.
- ADDING PROMO CODE: Enter your unique UCF-provided promo code in the app to unlock the Safe Rides option. Open the Uber app, tap the Menu bar in the upper-left corner, then tap the Payment option. At the bottom under Promotion, tap Add Promo/Gift Code and enter your promo code.
- REQUESTING A RIDE: UCF students can request a ride by opening the Uber app, entering their destination and selecting the UCF Safe Rides option at the bottom of the screen before tapping Request.
- The UCF Safe Rides option will only be available Friday and Saturday, between 8:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m.
- SEPS and Knight Lynx will continue to run during their normal hours of operation.
- All codes are unique for each student and may only be used on one account.
- All codes expire at the end of the semester.
- Rides that either begin or end outside of the boundaries will not be discounted, even if you used the Safe Rides option.
- You must request your ride from the UCF Safe Rides option in order for the UCF discount to be applied. Rides requested using the uberX, UberSELECT, & uberXL options will not be discounted.
- Split fares will reflect the discount for all riders who have unlocked the UCF Safe Rides option for trips that occur during the provided times.
The decision to subsidize Uber rides comes after an SGA meeting that eliminated the KnightLynx program, which had regularly scheduled bus routes that averaged 90 users per month.