Another University of Central Florida alumnus has gone to the National Football League – defensive back D.J. Killings.
The Florida native was brought in for a pre-draft visit by the Patriots, who provided an $11,000 signing bonus and $20,000 guaranteed salary as a priority free agent, a higher than normal amount for an undrafted free agent. New England saw Killings as a potentially valuable addition to the pro team after the April visit.
At Pro Day, Killings ran a 4.38s 40-yard dash and recorded 22 bench presses. Shaquill Griffin, drafted by the Seattle Seahawks, spoke to the Patriots at Pro Day on Killings’ strength in a team.
“D.J. is a genius in the room,” Griffin said to the Patriots.
“To me, that’s who led our room. That’s the person I went to. When I didn’t know something I’m going to D.J. first. And that’s what he brings to a team.”
Killings will join the defending Super Bowl champions.
Killings’ freshman through senior year at UCF, per UCF Athletics:
• Played and started in all 13 games at cornerback
• Second on the team with three interceptions
• Totaled 42 tackles, three tackles for loss, one sack, and 11 pass break-ups
• South Carolina State 9/3: Had four tackles, one tackle for loss and one break-up
• Houston 10/29: Recorded a sack, two break-ups and tied a UCF single game record with two interceptions
• Cincinnati 11/12: Tied a career high with 11 tackles, had one for a loss and tallied two pass break-ups
• Tulsa 11/19: Broke up a pass and intercepted another
• Worked through injuries to start seven games at cornerback
• Amassed 32 tackles with four for a loss, one forced fumble and a break-up
• FIU 9/3: Racked up five tackles with half a tackle for loss
• Temple 10/17: Had four tackles with a break-up and a tackle for loss
• Houston 10/24: Delivered 11 tackles, one for a loss and a forced fumble
• Had had least two tackles against Cincinnati, Tulsa, East Carolina and USF
• Saw time in eight games, posting 17 tackles with two interceptions and two break-ups
• Temple 10/25: Came on for a Hail Mary attempt to end the first half and promptly intercepted his first career pass
• Tulsa 11/14: Intercepted his second pass of the season
• SMU 11/22: Collected three tackles and recorded one pass breakup
• At USF 11/28: Had two tackles
• At East Carolina 12/4: Came through with five tackles
• Member of the American Athletic Conference All-Academic Team
• Appeared in eight games, posting eight tackles with three break-ups
• At FIU 9/6: Broke up a pass in first game action
• UConn 10/26: Posted one assisted tackle and added a pass breakup
• At Temple 11/16: Collected four solo tackles and one pass breakup
• Also had a tackle vs. South Carolina, Louisville, and Rutgers