Courtesy OCFR Twitter

A UCF contractor was seriously burned while handling chemicals at an employee only university facility on Monday afternoon.

A 29-year-old contractor was disposing of metallic chemicals, from a metal drum into a plastic drum, within an isolated room when a static discharge ignited the chemicals causing a “flash and a fire” at approximately 3 p.m., according to an Orange County Fire spokesperson.


The chemical reaction exposed the contractor to a 50-gallon drum of powdered aluminum, chromium, and magnesium estimated at 200 degrees Fahrenheit, the spokesperson said.

The contractor was found “conscious and alert” when emergency services arrived, according to the spokesperson. Suffering burns to the face, arms and chest, the contractor was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center by Seminole County Fire Rescue.

The chemical reaction was mitigated by Orange County Fire Rescue with “non-conventional means,” the spokesperson said at a press conference.

The contractor was alone at the time of the blast, no students were involved or affected by the chemical reaction, Orange County Fire Rescue said in a tweet.

This is a developing story. Please check back for details.